Aviation Publishers Co. Ltd.
"From the Ground Up" Aviation Training Textbook
Aviation Publishers is the premier provider of aviation flight training manuals ubiquitous throughout the world.
Now in it’s 29th edition, From the Ground Up has been published for over 70 years, and is the training manual of choice for hundreds of flying schools throughout Canada and the world (the book is used in 28 countries). The original author of the book was “Sandy” Macdonald who was a fighter pilot in WWI and later became a flight instructor and authored From the Ground Up.
Today, the publication has stayed true to Sandy Macdonald’s legacy and From the Ground Up is produced with up-to-date information to accurately reflect modern aviation technology and regulations.
The first role of HSI in the production of these types of publications is the development of design and typographical standards that will yield clear and tireless reading of these large texts.
Further to this, our role is providing clear visualizations of complex concepts and theories in areas such as; navigation, meteorology, radio communication, instrumentation, mechanics, physics, and air safety. This aspect was accomplished successfully using over 360 graphics and illustrations in both 2D and 3D environments, charts, diagrams, photos, and full-colour navigation and weather charts.
Finally, all of these elements are created and assembled into the final document by our layout team using methods that allow for fast and efficient updating in the future. This is one of the last, and one of the most important reasons for our involvement. For example; Our final production files allow the writers to add or remove illustrations in the document without the need for extensive editing or manually updating all of the subsequent illustration numbers. Every illustration (or figure) throughout the document, and their references (such as “see figure xx, on page xx”) are all automatically generated and updated.
- 3D Illustration
- 3D modeling and photo-realistic 3D renders can be used as powerful illustration tools. Our 3D illustrations are used to accurately visualize architectural designs, industrial design products, and technical details in marketing materials, training manuals, technical documents, and advertisements.
- Interactive Visual Design
- We excel at creating beautifully crafted websites and applications. Much of that success relies on a deep understanding of traditional design best practices coupled with leading edge design technologies. These fundamentals when applied in accordance with the overall brand strategies, result in digital content that regularly exceed expectations. Working from a strong understanding of your goals, we deliver completely custom design solutions that engage your visitors through creative, thought-provoking visuals.
- Brand & Content Strategy
- No matter how good your product or the experience you offer, if you’re speaking the wrong language or the claim you make is wrong for the audience; all is lost. We can help you define your audience and tailor your communications to deliver results that engage your audience and add weight and credibility to your brand promise.
- 2D Illustration
- We create 2D illustrations by using traditional illustration techniques in combination with digital processes to create stunning 2D artwork. Our 2D illustrations are featured in mapping or geological illustration, books, brochures, and publications, and are often used in web site development as icons, animations, textures, and other graphics.
- Print Production
- When it comes to document publishing many of our clients manage print production on their own. For the majority however, the technicalities in ensuring colour accuracy, media selection and proofing are all areas that they would rather leave to us. Tables of contents, glossaries, indexes, cross references and design are just where things begin for us. We also offer a single-source solution for all of your print collateral and distribution needs. We have multiple sources available for any print production requirements and fantastic relationships with some of the largest printers and binderies in Canada. From offset and web presswork to vinyl signage or dry mount plaques for your next sales campaign—we've done it all—and often for prices that are lower than those available directly to our clients.